PT, DPT, CFCE, CFMT, CKTP, COMT
NY State License #027096-1
Owner and clinical coordinator
Graduated State University of New York at Stony Brook with his Bachelor’s degree in physical therapy, in 2000. He went on to get his doctorate degree in physical therapy at Stony Brook, graduating in 2006.
Continuing Education :
- Dr. Welch has completed every Institute of Physical Art’s (IPA) and Integrative Manual Therapy Solutions courses in advanced manual therapy techniques that are required to take the certification exams. He later went to Colorado for 6 days of review and testing in this course work and passed all 8 exams. This allows him the designation “CFMT” (Certified Functional Manual Therapist) There are ~ 10 CFMT’s on Long Island at this time. These courses include:
- Cervical Thoracic Integration
- Lumbo-Pelvic Integration
- Functional Orthopedics I
- Functional Orthopedics II
- Functional Mobilization of The Upper Quarter Functional
- Functional Mobilization of the Lower Quarter
- Back Education Training
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF)
- Dr. Welch completed all of Maitland Physiotherapy Seminars course work in manual therapy and spinal mobilization / manipulation. His certification exams in Washington D.C. were completed, passing all 4 exams. This has earned Dr. Welch the designation of “COMT” (Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist). Dr. Welch is one of only two physical therapists in the state of New York with both designations CFMT and COMT. These courses include:
- MT-1 Peripheral Mobilization
- MT-2 Basic Spinal Mobilization
- MT-3 Intermediate Spinal Mobilization & Manipulation
- MT-4 Spinal Manipulation and Differential Assessment of the Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar spine, Shoulder, and Hip
- Dr. Welch has also taken additional courses in spinal and pelvic manipulation from leaders in osteopathic manipulation, which include:
- Carl Steel D.O. from the University of Michigan – High Velocity Manipulation Therapy
- Daryl Herbert D.O. British School of Osteopathic Medicine, London – UK Osteopathic Spinal Manipulation
- Adriaan Louw PT, App.Sc, GCRM, CSMT – International Spine & Pain Institute
- Dr.Laurie Hartman British School of Osteopathic Medicine, London. Course offered to limited students at the AAOMPT National Conference October 2014, San Antonio Texas.
- Dr. Welch has also completed course work in Job Site Analysis and Functional Capacity Evaluations. He is Certified in both areas.
Graston Technique – Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization
Kinesio Taping – Dr. Welch has completed all three Kinesio taping courses. After review of the information and experience in the clinic with Kinesio tape, Dr. Welch took the certification exam and passed. This certification as a Kinesio taping practitioner demonstrates proficiency with the Kinesio taping method.
- Clinical Review of Pathology and Differential Diagnosis Using Cadavers.
- Ergonomics Certification Course presented by Matheson, San Diego California, March 2015.
Adjunct Professor :
- Dr. Welch is adjunct professor in advanced orthopedics of the spine and pelvis at Stony Brook. He teaches the transitional doctorate physical therapy students the history of manual therapy, theory behind the skill, contraindications, precautions, and hands on manual and manipulative therapy skills, which will allow the students to be more competent in mobilization and manipulation of the spine and pelvis. Dr. Welch has recently been added as adjunct professor at Touro College in Bayshore. He teaches the doctoral physical therapy students Manipulative Therapy Of The Spine and Pelvis. This three day course will teach students the history of manual therapy, theory behind the skill, contraindication and precautions to manipulative therapy, and hands on skills to mobilize and manipulate the facet joints of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, as well as the sacroiliac joint.
Brookhaven National Laboratory :
- Dr. Welch started the physical therapy department at Brookhaven National Laboratory in October of 2008, and was the manager of the Physical Therapy Department until 3/2016. This facility provides physical therapy services to the employees at Brookhaven Lab, along with safety education, job site analysis, ergonomic assessments, pre-employment exams, and return to work exams.
- 2008 Advance for Physical Therapist and Physical Therapist Assistant’s Magazine – Nationally recognized PT Practitioner of the Year –
Winner of MAPS (Maitland) Case Study Award for “Clinical Reasoning as an Orthopedic Manual Therapist” for a patient with carpal tunnel syndrome
- Brookhaven National Laboratory “Spotlight Award”
- Recipient of Stony Brook University’s 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award.
Community Service :
Dr. Welch has been treating patients in the Patchogue community since 2000
- Dr. Welch is a member of Brookhaven Memorial Hospital’s Advisory Council since 2007. He was a committee member of the Black Tie Committee at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital, from 2008 to 2014, and Co-Chaired two of the Black Tie Events. He was the senior-vice president in 2014 and 2015, and the president of this committee in 2016 and 2017.
- Dr. Welch is a spokes person for the American Physical Therapy Association’s Private Practice Media Corps.